EDU KEEN TO REMAIN AT RANGERS
Rangers midfielder Maurice Edu is focused on reclaiming the Clydesdale Bank Premier League title next season despite the ongoing uncertainty surrounding the club.
Rangers' administrators took a significant step to securing the club's future on Sunday when they confirmed a deal to sell the club had been signed with a consortium fronted by former Sheffield United chief executive Charles Green.
Green hopes to take the club out of administration through a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) but that cannot be completed before early July.
Players took temporary wage cuts in March, which end on June 1, and some negotiated exit clauses allowing them to leave for a specific fee this summer.
And if creditors reject the CVA proposal, which will pledge around £12million immediately for debts possibly reaching £134million, Green will push through a newco option that could see players leave for nothing under employment law.
However, the likes of Allan McGregor and Steven Naismith have stressed their desire to stay at the club and Edu is the same.
The United States international has a year left on his contract with negotiations on a new deal halted by the club's descent into administration in February. The club rejected an offer from Sochaux for the midfielder in January.
Edu told the club's online Blues News programme: "It has been a difficult situation lately and difficult circumstances too.
"Although there has been an announcement about a new owner maybe coming in, there is still a little bit of uncertainty.
"We've got guys who are eager to stay here though and with the manager and the staff we've got, that definitely bodes well for the future.
"When you see the way we played at the end of the season, we've got something there we can build on."
Rangers rounded off the season with a 4-0 victory at St Johnstone which saw Sone Aluko grab a hat-trick and complete an impressive personal campaign.
Aluko is coming out of contract with Rangers unable to offer him a deal until, and if, they come out of administration.
Kyle Lafferty, who has a year left on his deal, has been tipped to join Sasa Papac in leaving this summer after being suspended for two weeks by manager Ally McCoist for failing to report for a game against Hearts. He has since undergone hernia surgery.
McCoist could face a shortage of experienced players if the club fail to overturn a 12-month embargo on registering players over 17 when they face a Scottish Football Association appeal tribunal on Wednesday.
Green has pledged not to raise cash by selling players but he was forced to resign from Sheffield United in 1998 after selling three strikers, including Brian Deane, in the same week.
At his Murray Park media conference, Green boasted that his deal to sell Deane to Benfica manager Graeme Souness got £1.5million for a player who could have left for nothing soon after.
Edu falls into the same category but the American is optimistic that the squad will remain largely intact and can challenge Celtic next season if the stated plan of the new ownership consortium comes to fruition.
"We want to come back next year, really push on and compete and win our title back," Edu said.
"It would be good if we can kick on now. We have finished the season strongly and we've had some good results in the last few games.
"Hopefully the fans can go into the summer with something to smile about and when all is said and done, hopefully we can keep this team together.
"If we can keep the team together and some of the young guys can push through, I think we'll have a chance as we've definitely got talent and we've got a great side."
Defender Carlos Bocanegra, who signed a three-year deal when he arrived last summer, also aims to stay at Ibrox.
He tweeted today: "Hope this situation gets sorted just as quickly as everyone else does. Enjoy being a part of this club and city."
Latest Football News at 09:00 BST